The Halloween party I’m going to this evening has a “spooky food” contest, so I’ve made what I like to call “rotten eggs.’ They’re devilled eggs, with a little help.
after hard boiling, I peel and halve the eggs, then let the whites sit in tea overnight in the fridge.
the yolks get mashed with onions carmelized in bacon grease, mayo, garlic powder, and a gourmet mustard, and i add some green and black food coloring. Then I fill the whites with a cake decorating tip so they look a bit brain-like.
So here they are:
(pardon if my typing is a bit off. I gave myself a bit of a boo-boo while chopping up the onions)
So I have this black leather trenchcoat that I bought in late 1998 or early 1999. I pretty much lived in it for years. It also caused many an eye-rolling, because people would say “I bet you bought that because of the Matrix,” and I’d say A) I bought it before the movie came out and B) Trinity wore PVC, not leather. Duh.
But somewhere after I did this whole childbirth thing the gnomes that live in your closets and take in all the seams of your clothing got ahold of it and it wouldn’t button across the hips anymore. I couldn’t bear to get rid of it though, so it sat in the back of the closet for years, until I had a moment. “Hey,” said the brain. “You should totally give it a trench to tails treatment!” “Yeah,” I told the brain back, and it still sat in the back of the closet for another couple of years, until this week.
We’re going to a Halloween party where the theme is “Carnevil.” And “Hey, you could be a creepy ringmaster!” says the brain. So I finally got to work.
(This is what that rhinestone trim that I posted about a few weeks ago was for.)
Those are bicycle gears that I picked up at a yardsale a couple of summers ago on the back.
There’s braid machine sewn on so I had something a little easier to work with when I hand-sewed on the rhinestones, because hand sewing six yards of trim directly to leather is not my idea of a good time.
The sleeve cuffs are made from the leather I cut away from the front of the coat, and the red underlayer is left over from my Melisandre dress I did for this year’s Norwescon. Reuse/recycle!
This is also the first thing I’ve sewed since that dress. Hopefully this means I’m getting back on the costuming swing. Pictures of me wearing it are here.